QUALITATIVE PROJECT MANAGER
General responsibilities of the Qualitative Project Manager are to oversee the execution of qualitative research projects, by managing project logistics, creating screeners and discussion guides, briefing and overseeing moderators, supervising and attending research, analyzing data, drafting research reports, and liaising with clients, moderators, and vendors, directing the creation of video highlight reels, as well as contributing to the development of internal tools, methods and other special projects to support the growth of the qualitative practice area. There is also the opportunity for the person in this role to moderate or learn to, starting with IDIs and online discussion forums.
This a full-time, regular position typically works a 40-50 hour workweek with some occasional need to work evenings or on weekends to accommodate. Schedules can shift to accommodate these demands.
This position will be located in East Rutherford, NJ and preference will be given to local candidates; though we are open to the possibility of fully remote for the right individual. We are currently working fully remote and a return to the office is planned for mid-September to our East Rutherford, NJ location. Once we return to the office, employees will be working 2 days per week from home, 3 days in the office.
- BA or MA in Social Sciences, Communications, Market Research or Marketing
- 3-5+ years experience in marketing research project direction, prior qualitative experience preferred (either at a facility or a full-service supplier)
- Excellent detail orientation and organizational skills for keeping track of all project details – respondents, locations, times/places, logistics, etc.
- Proactiveness in managing and problem-solving project details
- Flexible and resilient; able to manage complexity, work through details
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent people management abilities when dealing with recruiters, clients, moderators, and colleagues
- Excellent analytical abilities – can detect patterns in data that are relevant to project objectives and can describe those patterns with project-appropriate language
- Ability to create visually compelling, project-appropriate graphics in PowerPoint for proposals and reports, requiring advanced PowerPoint skills
- Advanced Excel skills to manage fieldwork logistics and research data
- Proficiency with Zoom for meetings and webinars preferred
- Advanced Word, MS Office, Teams, and Project skills a plus
Some travel on a project-by-project basis (variable frequency, never anticipated to be extensive)
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Assist in the drafting and revising of documents such as screeners and discussion guides for focus groups, in-depth interviews, online discussion forums, etc.
Helping organize logistics, and coordinating the scheduling and timing of research activities and fieldwork among clients, facilities, recruiters, moderators, and Russell Research staff
Watching and/or listening to in-depth interviews, focus groups, or online discussion boards, taking notes, and drawing insights for the research report
Managing interviews and focus groups conducted in Zoom, including scheduling, greeting respondents, moving participants into break out rooms, managing virtual break out rooms for clients, recording, and interfacing with the moderator
Drafting final reports and presentations that detail key findings and implications culminating in strategic recommendations for the business
Support the Vice President Qualitative Services and the sales team in the proposal process including bidding projects, developing costs, and providing inputs to proposals
Provide proofing and editing support for screeners, discussion guides, reports, presentations, and proposals
- Be able to understand client’s business situation
- Content knowledge
- Has experience with basic qualitative research methods
- Has knowledge of broad social trends and common social behaviors
- Conceptualization and Design
- Understands client’s stated research problem and some underlying issues
- Be able to design basic research approach to meet client’s needs
- Knows whether qualitative research is appropriate, or not
- Experienced at overseeing basic qualitative research projects
- Has knowledge of quantitative research and survey development
- Understands the research process
- Project management/coordination
- Coordinates his/her part of a project efficiently and interfaces smoothly with the other parts of the project
- Understands how other parts of the project relate to his/her part
- Interviewing (a bonus)
- Understands basic interviewing principles and practices
- Can conduct simple interviewing projects for non-sensitive or non-complex topics and get honest responses
- Has natural ability to put people at ease
- Can accurately summarize what was said in a group, interview, or set of interviews and can identify emerging themes
- Can restate what both parties mean until both agree
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Can draft reports that address major findings, interpretations, implications
- Can answer questions about the report competently
This is a salaried position with health insurance, 401K, profit sharing, paid vacation, and holidays.
There will be opportunities for paid training outside the organization, and attendance at professional conferences.
Russell Research is a full-service custom research firm which leverages consumer psychology and behavioral science principles to help organizations navigate continual change. Russell’s full suite of research offerings includes brand strategy, concept and product innovation, purchase journey, and message and creative development. With decades of experience servicing a diverse group of market leaders and innovators, Russell Research provides the opportunity to work with interesting and exciting businesses, agencies and consultancies across all industries.
Please apply to [email protected].